The are 3 levels of payment for the Arable and Horticultural standard:
1. Introductory level – 70% of land must have a sown green cover or weedy stubble over the winter months (Dec-Feb)
2. Intermediate level – 70% of land must have a green cover crop during the winter months, of which 20% must be sown with a multi species cover crop
3. Advanced level – details to be announced in 2023
The use of green manures, catch and cover crops will help to:
• Enhance the natural health and fertility of our soils
• Contribute to our efforts to reach Net Zero
There are many species of catch and cover crops to choose from; fodder radishes such as Romesa, have good biomass and are very deep rooting to help compacted soils.
White mustard is another useful cover crop – Severka is fast growing and if sown early, can produce bags of biomass in a short period of time.
Multi species seeds mixtures such as Green Reward are also useful, and contain 7 species to comply with the Intermediate level.
Lift N Fix contains vetch, along with Humbolt winter rye. This mixture is a highly effective nitrogen lifter and provides great cover, which helps suppress weeds before incorporation into the soil.
Lift N Fix seed mixture will provide excellent winter cover.